socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Private Facebook Post Disclosed To Employer

If I posted something on my private Facebook page that was negative about a department I worked with and one of my Facebook friends took a snapshot and sent it to my boss's boss, can I be terminated?  I deleted the post about an hour afterward realizing I should not be venting on Facebook and not knowing someone had taken a snapshot of it and sent it to my employer.  Do I have any recourse with the person that invaded my privacy if I get terminated in terms of being able to sue them?  It's likely the person disclosed my post in order to position themselves to take my job.

California Labor Code 2922 provides that an employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. So, yes, your employer can terminate you, because the employer doesn't need a reason to do so. The employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason at all -- and there is nothing you can do, legally speaking, to prevent this from occurring.

Concerning the person who chose to transfer the information from its pseudo-private locale to your employer, the question is whether or not that person intended to destroy your employment relationship. If yes, then you can sue the person for "intentional interference with contract." That would be your only legal recourse.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistsance.