socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I was offered a job, but now they are saying the person who

Customer Question

I was offered a job, but now they are saying the person who offered me the job, didn't follow the correct process, and it's not a guarentee.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

Are you asking whether or not the employer is required to employ you, once an offer of employment is made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I actually work for the company, and it's an internal move. I'm wondering what my rights might be considering, I spoke with 2 differnt people offering me the positon and that they were excited for me to start.
Oh, okay.

Cal. Labor Code 2922 provides that absent an express agreement to the contrary (which must have a term of at least one month in duration), all employment in California is "at will," meaning that the employer or employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. So, the employer is correct -- there is no guarantee of continuing employment. You can be fired, at any time, even if you are the greatest employee who has ever worked for the company.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.