Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

My son works for a restaurant that uses a weekly schedule which

My son works for a restaurant that uses a weekly schedule which begins with the opening shift on Sunday. The new schedule used to be posted before the end of the day on Thursday. It has been getting posted later and later. This week's schedule was finally available late Saturday night. That is approximately 12 hours before it takes effect. Isn't there a minimum notice that has to be given for an employee's next shift?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

No, unfortunately, there is no law that requires that an employer give its employees a certain amount of notice prior to the beginning of their weekly schedule.

This is due to the employment at-will doctrine, which gives employers discretion to set the terms and conditions of employment, including when a weekly schedule is posting.

The employment at-will doctrine is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922 and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."Unfortunately, only employees who have contacts with their employers or are union members can ensure that they have an appropriate amount of notice prior to the beginning of their next shift.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, and I strongly disagree with the current status of the law (which gives employees little to no rights), I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the direct answer. When I checked the FAQ file I ran into the employment-at-will idea, so I pretty much expected your answer, but I still wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. True it wasn't the answer that I wanted to hear, but it definitely was the answer I needed to hear. Thank you.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello Charlie,

Happy to help!

Thanks and best of luck!