LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

my wife is in a union and she has complained of bad behavior

Customer Question

my wife is in a union and she has complained of bad behavior by others in her department and now she is being layed off. I am thinking that they will then hire someone else to replace her, is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

1. What reason are they giving for laying her off?

2. Are other's being laid off?

3. Were the bad behaviors, she complained of, directed at her race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law. In other words was she being discriminated against and complained about that?

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they say that they are laying her off due to budget cuts. yes others are being layed off as well. she simply tries to do the right thing and her coworkers engage in all manner of harassment and bad behavior.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that additional information.

It is really important for me to know whether they harass your wife because of her race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law.

My answer to you will depend on knowing that.

Doug