Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Hi, I currently am 62 and just started collecting Social Security.

Customer Question

I currently am 62 and just started collecting Social Security. In the past, I was a Bay Bridge toll collector and then later transferred to Caltrans for a total period of approximately 8+ years. Since my recent initiation into the 62+ club, a friend reminded my about my pension that I should be able to collect. Unfortunately, I only have a few remnants of my previous employment such as my Toll Collector Employee ID, about a dozen and a half Pay Check stubs while i wasa toll collecetor and a piece paper labeled PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System Annual Statement June 30, 1975 without any type of Identification besides my name and SSN. Recently I contacted CalPERS.ca.gov and they told me that there was not record of me in their files. Because of this news I've all but given up in search of the pension that I deserve. Unless, if you could steer my in the correct direction.......?!?!

Thank you for your interest in this matter.....

I really do appreciate it.

Regards,

LL
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure I don't mind waiting, but for how long; do you think?!?!
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. Response times vary due to the question and which professionals are online at any time. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but although CA state employers have good pension plans, you must work a minimum of 10. 15 or 20 years on the job before you would be entitled to a pension payout upon retirement (early or otherwise). Contact the pension plan again and ask them the minimum number of years that you had to work in order to be paid a pension on retirement. It will be at least 10 years and most likely it will be 20 years.

-

MARY

-