Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a creative professional working at a PR firm. I do outside

I am a creative professional working at a PR firm. I do outside contract work and I have never signed anything or been told that I was not allowed to do so. Recently one of my bosses found out about it and spoke to me about general concerns about employees doing contract work. Literally within a day of having my boss speaking to me my contractor has not answered any phone calls or emails from me. My boss also happens to personally know the people I do contract work for.

I am concerned that my boss caused my contractor to let me go. If this is the case is there any legal action I can pursue?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you can sue for intentional interference with economic relations if your boss directly caused the contractor you were contracting for to end its relationship with you.

You would need proof that your boss caused the contractor to end its relationship with you, likely through statements from the contractor.

Although you do have this cause of action, it is a hard one to prove, and bringing it against your current employer could (obviously) damage your employment relationship with them, so it's not one I would strongly suggest that you pursue.

However, if you are interested in taking to a local attorney about your situation, I suggest one of the following websites:

www.avvo.com

www.lawyers.com

www.martindale.com

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Marlene,

I noticed that you viewed my answer, but did not rate me positively.

Could you please let me know if you have any additional questions or if there is any information I can provide you with?