Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My wife just started a new job working for the county of Orange

My wife just started a new job working for the county of Orange CA. Even though we have full health insurance with Kaiser they would not let her decline health insurance with them. But instead, she was forced to sign up with their insurance and take a $20 deduction out of every paycheck for insurance we don't want! Can they do that?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Her employer, the County of Orange, can only require her to sign up for insurance if it is part of an employment contract. If she is unionized (which most county of Orange employees are) then the collective bargaining agreement may contain a provision that requires that all employees sign up for insurance coverage with the County.

Employers, especially large ones, like the County of Orange, sometimes have these mandatory purchasing policies in place in order to reduce overall insurance costs by having as many people (all employees) covered by the plan.

She should ask the union or her employer for a copy of the collective bargaining agreement to see if it contains such a provision.

If she is an at-will employee, however, her employer cannot require that she purchase the company's health insurance, but can require that she submit a statement testifying to the fact that she has her own health insurance coverage.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brian,

I saw that you viewed my answer but have yet to rate me positively.

Are there any additional questions I can answer for you or any additional information I can provide?

Please let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!