LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

If a bank employee views the account of a former relative without

If a bank employee views the account of a former relative without authorization what can happen to the employee ?
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under the circumstances that you mention, clearly the employee violated the rules of the bank and could be terminated for cause based on the violation of privacy in accessing the account information of a relative.

Additionally, if they shared that information with anyone else, then they could be criminally charged for violating banking financial privacy laws as concerns the confidentiality of banking records.

Finally, the act constitutes an Invasion of Privacy and the relative may sue the employee in civil court for Invasion of Privacy, and seek a money judgment for the intrusion as well as punitive damages to punish the person for violating the privacy rights of that relative.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.