LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

How much time off is a man allowed under FMLA to spend with

How much time off is a man allowed under FMLA to spend with his newborn and how does FMLA coordinate with California's family leave time requirements?

Good morning Lucien,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. First of all, congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Presuming that you qualify for FMLA leave, then you may take up to 12 weeks off in the calendar year following the birth of your child, to bond with that child. Under California's Paid Family Leave (PFL) program, you may take up to 6 weeks of bonding leave and be paid for it as if you were receiving disability benefits. The time you are on PFL also counts as part of your 12 week entitlement under the FMLA, however, during the 6 weeks of PFL, you will be paid part of your average wages by the state. This generally amoints to about 55% of your wages, up to a maximum of about $1,050 per week.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Lucien. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.