How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was released from employment from a California County position

This answer was rated:

I was released from employment from a California County position after approximately 30 days of employment. The only explanation was that I was not a "good fit". Prior to being hired for this position, I held a management position in a different county which I ultimately retired from. During my 30 days of employment with the new county, I did not receive any written evaluations of my performance nor any verbal evaluations of my performance from my supervisor other than I was doing great and was expected to be permitted to work unsupervised within a couple of weeks. The senior employee who was training me verbally told me that my performance was great and that I was ready to work unsupervised. I was released from probation days later. I believe my release from probation was unjustified. Does anyone agree with me?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.


I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.


Unfortunately, until you are done with your probationary period, you are an at-will employee of the county, meaning that you can be terminated at any time for any reason (or none at all) with or without any prior notice.


That said, although it appears your termination was not justified it would not give rise to any cause of action against the county. The only factor that would change that is if you were terminated due to discrimination based on a protected characteristic, such as age discrimination in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.


If you have any reason to believe that is the case, you should file a charge against your employer through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which you can do following the instructions online here:


The EEOC will investigate the complaint on your behalf and either file charges on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response to my question. I am confused over one portion of your answer. Many years ago, while I was still at my previous employer in a supervisor position, I received training that any termination of an employee, including during probation, must be for performance related reasons. The attorney who was presenting the training in this area cited case law in support of this. Of course, I can not remember the case citation. I understood this to mean that you could not terminate a probationary employee without a valid reason that was clearly based on their performance in the position they were hired for. Are you aware of any case law related to this? If so, where could I find case citations without access to a law library?


I do believe that my termination was based on discriminatory factors and I am planning on challenging the termination through the counties civil service commission as my first step. If I do not prevail there, I will follow your suggestion to file a complaint with the EEOC. If I do not prevail at the civil service hearing, will that prevent a complaint with EEOC?


Since the only evaluations of my performance prior to my termination came from the person assigned to train me and all of those were verbal and positive in nature, I believe that the county will have a difficult time defending the position that the supervisor who recommended my termination did so because of discriminatory bias. Do you have any suggestions on how I might demonstrate to the Administrative Law Judge that the absence of meaningful feedback about my performance coupled with the extremely short time frame during which my performance was observed proves that my termination was due to prejudices instead of being based on performance issues?


Thank you again for your responses to these questions.

No, unfortunately that is simply not true. The whole point of probation is that you can be released from probation for any reason whatsoever. Once you are off probation, only then are you represented by a union, and can be released through no fault of your own.

For those reasons, I am unaware of any such citations, as they do not exist.

No that would not prevent you from filing a complaint with the EEOC.

Unfortunately, that really does not prove that prejudice was behind your termiantion. You actually need direct evidence of that being the motiviating factor to prevail. Mere speculation is highly unlikely to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again for your response. I will focus my presentation at the hearing on the discriminatory actions that I believe led to my termination. I will do my best to demonstrate prejudice at the hearing. One procedural question if you don't mind? I need to do a discovery request to the County Counsel for some documentation prior to the hearing. Can I simply write a letter requesting the documentation I want or is there a specific format that must be used?

Writing a letter would constitute an informal discovery request. As long as you do so, he should respond. However, if he doesn't, you would need to make 'formal' discovery requests, which would require the use of various forms depending on the information requested.

Most likely, you'd need a subpoean duces tecum for documents.
Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions