Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Hi There, i had to leave work to severe liver issues - liver

Customer Question

Hi There, i had to leave work to severe liver issues - liver failure from booze and sepsis, im 32.....kinda bad luck i guess.

Im on EDD disability, how long does this last in CA, i'm confused if its a year or 18 months, and pretty sure id qualify for long term SDI since i can no longer work, or work every day with out issues........How long does it take to transfer over from Disability to SSI and medicade.....i made enough money in 10 years of working to draw near the max of disability, 1200 a week. Will SDI be less, and can i expect to even draw it, or will i be just tottaly screwed? My HOM left me with pnemonia and blood posioning for 10 months and caused massive liver and heart problems. I'm not expected to live more than another 4 years. How do i go about this process....?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry to hear about your situaiton and hope I can help.

You are eligible for up to 52 weeks of SDI disability through the EDD. You should also apply for Social Security Disability Benefits (SSDI, as well as medicaid, etc.) while you are receiving SDI so there will not be a gap in coverage.

SSDI is substantially less than disability, you only actually get around $800 a month. In order to draw it, you will need to demonstrate that you are permanently unable to work due to your disability. Considering you have a terminal illness due to the liver and heart problems caused by pnemonia and blood posioning you will definitely receive SSDI.

You can apply for SSDI online here:

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/disability.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much less? like 80% less? id like to not die homeless.....my rent is 800 a month + food etc......Can i live off of it? I have a cat and other bills.....Its just k ind of a crappy deal. I was making 150k as an engineer, and am kina young and dont want to die in despair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and btw my current payments are from EDD not SDI.

ALso, im wondering if after my EDD runs out if i can apply for unenployment insurance for what ever it is now, 12 months? I lost my job due to health (i quit) was in ICUE for a month.

Could i go from EDD - unenployment - then to Perm Social security insurance?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
The maximum amount is $2,533/month, but the normal amont is around $1,200. You would receive more than an average applicant since you made $150k as an engineer. You would likely qualify for other forms of assistance, and would receive food stamps as well as medicaid. You also may be eligilbe for housing subsidies.

To clarify, SDI is state disability insurnace , which is through EDD.

You can only apply for unemployment benefits if you are ready and able to work.

If you are disabled and unable to work you would not qualify for unemployment benefits.

Please remember to rate my answer positively!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see. Are you its 52 weeks in CA? ANd does that date start once you go on disability, or when you're job ends - I had taken off like 4 months before i was "terminated" for no cause other than using all my sick/leave time.....You can only do so much work when you are pretty much dead, i was resesitatied twice.....I'm not sure thats even just cause for termination - being sick as f**k.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Yes, SDI is 52 weeks in California. That date start once you go off on disability.

You would be entitled to unemployment benefits as long as you have a doctor sign off that you are ready and able to work after your SDI expires.

Otherwise, you will have to rely on SSDI benefits after your SDI expires.

For more information see the website here:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/FAQ_DI_Benefits.htm
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again!