Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am trying to find out if it is possible to leave a job and

I am trying to find out if it is possible to leave a job and still be considered for unemployment. The workload is spiraling out of control to the point where I cannot complete my duties working 60+ hours a week. Last week I worked 68 hours. I haven't even been able to have a day off in almost a month an half. I continually try to explain to upper management that I can't keep this work up and they continually drop new things on me asking for immediate turn around. I have so many "immediate" projects on plate that I feel like I am going to start getting in trouble for not being able to complete them.

I have an excellent track record here and everywhere else I have worked. I have been acknowledged by the board for my work and been given raises due to my achievements, even during periods of lay offs.

I am constantly going home with chest pains and can't even sleep anymore because of anxiety. The doctos want to put me on meds...which I am not a big fan of.

What can I do?
Yes, it is definitely possible to leave a job voluntarily and receive unemployment bneefits.

In order to receive unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit you need to do so for 'good cause.'

This is defined as a reason that would make a reasonable person in your position who wanted to stay employed to also leave his or her job in the same circumstances.

Your work load would lall most surely qualify you for unemployment benefits, since you are suffering chest pains, anxiety, and insomnia as a result of your extreme work load.

To read more about establishing 'good cause' for a voluntary quit see the website here:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_5.htm