Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am supervisor for a Transportation ageny. I have been issued

I am supervisor for a Transportation ageny. I have been issued a EEOC Charge of Discrimination by the office EEOC. The employee said I discriminated gaainst her by saying she would be passed over for a promotion because she filed a DFEH againt the company. THIS IN NOT TRUE. I feel the employee said this to gain an advantage in the selection process. What are my options?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

First, it is important to note that there is a huge distinction between a charge being issued and an actual suit being filed.

Anyone can file a charge, and the EEOC will pursue it to determine if there is any actual validity to it.

As long as you can point to other valid (non-retalitory) reasons why the employee was passed over for the promotion, a suit against you and the company will not be successful.

I would suggest that you respond to the charge with these statements and pointing to the reasons why the employee was passed over for a promotion (if she was actually passed over for a promotion).

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The employee recieved the pormotipn. She also said in her claim that I suggested she should look for work outside then company. The employee is saying her husband is a witness to the statement. How should the company investigate this claim? Should I insist on a list of her witnesses?