LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

A co-worker had informed me that inappropriate comments were

A co-worker had informed me that inappropriate comments were inferred about me by another co-worker in a staff meeting (when I was not present, and unable to defend myself). I voluntarily resigned even prior to this meeting due to other issues, they asked that I stay - but left company and have absolutely no desire to ever return. I am so tired of bullies at the work place - they are a drain and absolutely take away from the tasks that are needed to complete a job function.On last day of employment , I wrote an email to the person who had made negative inferences about me, and cc'd all that were in that meeting. There was nothing bad about the letter, in my opinion. I basically said that I felt that such behavior was rude and unprofessional, and that I harbored no bad feelings, but that I wish that I been approached directly rather than have this come about in such a format. I wished the person well, and that was really it. I mostly wanted to purge myself of any left over nonsense, and leave the baggage at their doorstep. Is this going to cause me any problem? I want to know so that I can plan accordingly.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Vida,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As the letter you wrote presumably did not state an false facts about anyone, and was essentially you opinions as regards XXXXX XXXXX you were treated by this person, then noting about the email was unlawful nor should it provide any basis for any late ramifications, legal or otherwise.

Rather than attacking the allegations made by this person, you attacked the unprofessional manner in which the allegations were raised---and there was noting inappropriate about doing that.

I see no need to be concerned about any potential legal ramifications arising out of your emails.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The main gist of the email was saying that I felt that it was unprofessional, rude and uncalled for - and that I had no issue with the person, again wishing them the best - and stating that I wished that they had chosen to handle it differently by talking to me directly. I am a worry wart, and I just don't want this to haunt me later, as I just want this whole few months to be behind me and over. So even as I had cc'd all that had been in that meeting where the situation occurred, that is okay too?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon Vida,

What you wrote was almost all opinion speech, and protected under the First Amendment. The fact that you cc'd others present at the meeting who heard this other employee make the accusations is also perfectly legal--as well as appropriate.

Nothing of what you did was illegal, or even inappropriate in my opinion. You have a right to stick up fro yourself, and because the accusation was made to a group of people, it was proper for you to address your comments to that same group.

I see no problems down the road for you as a result of you defending yourself in this manner.

I wish you well.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Thank you once again for your positive rating of my service, Vida. It is always my pleasure to assist you.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug