LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

California: Does an employer have the right to drop off a

California: Does an employer have the right to drop off a personal file to 'Kinko's' to have them copy the file with all of the personnel information in the file?
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is nothing illegal about an employer using an outside copy service to make a copy of employee personnel files, and so yes, that is one option that an employer has if they decide to make a copy of such a file.

However, if the employees at Kinko's passed any personal information on to others, or used any personal information for an unlawful purpose, that would open the employer up to an invasion of privacy claim based on the employer's agent (Kinko's) wrongful acts.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so very much for your answer, I live in a somewhat small town and knowing the employer has padded my file is a bit disheartening however, since they can use Kinko' to copy file instead of copying it in their office I have to be silent and pray ;-)

Have the most grand day ever!

Very Respectfully,

Good morning Anna,

I understand your concern, and perhaps you might consider voicing it to the employer. You can't force the situation, but you have a valid point that the employer should hear about.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated. Please keep in mind that until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Anna. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.