Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

i got a workers compensation settlement back in november of

i got a workers compensation settlement back in november of 2012. I got a letter today from Department of Labor that says the insurance companies petition to terminate my comp has been granted effective April 25, 2012. Which is before i got my settlement. Does that meen i have to pay that back?
Hello.

No, the settlement you received was in exchange for you waiivng any and all future claims that you may have for the injury with the workers' compensation insurance provider. (It is immaterial that you didn't actually have a claim to waive).

It did not account for third parties, such as the DoL, grant permission to the company to terminate your workers' compensation benefis. Since the compensation carrier agreeed to a settlment after requesiting termination of your compensation, they likely factored that into their analysis and decision to grant you the severance you received.