Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Hello Joseph, I have a question my boss is moving to another

Hello Joseph,
I have a question my boss is moving to another job position with a lower pay rate. I know for a fact that there are 3 coworkers in the same job position I am moving to with a higher pay rate. And my boss has state me that is not fair for me to get more money than my other co workers. So I am having a rate of 13.82 per hours along with my other 10 coworkers in the same position but the 3 I mentioned in the beginning they get pay 18 per hours and they don't do any special or extra on the contrary they do less. Can I ask my boss to reconsider my pay rate?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Denisse,

Yes, you are completely free to request that your boss reconsider your pay rate, especially since htere are other people in the same position who are being paid more that you are currently receiving.

Your boss, however, is not under any obligation to reconsider your payrate, since as an at-will employee, your pay rate can be changed at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice.

However, if your boss is trying to drop you payrate by over 20% you would have the option of quitting your job and collecting unemployment benefits, since that would technically constiute terminating you from your current position and giving you a new job offer for lower pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. My currently rate is 20.50 and my new rate starting march 1st will be 13.82 is that 20% drop? Where can I reference something about this that I can read?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is significantly more than a 20% drop.

You can read more about it here, under "Wage Reduction"

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_500.htm
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And what happens if my boss denies my unemployment?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Your boss cannot 'deny your unemployment,' since you have good cause, according to the statute to obtain unemployment in this situation. There's nothing your boss could say to prevent you from receiving unemployment said.