Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Do employers need to pay for employees hourly wage if the

Do employers need to pay for employee's hourly wage if the time was spent for the purposes of coming to a settlement in hopes of resolving a dispute that the employee had alleged. For example, an employee claims there was a benefit issue. The employer offers to settle and the employee verbally accepts. To sign the settlement agreement and discuss certain issues, the employer and the employee arrange a time after workhours (to make it confidential). Does the employee need to be paid for that hour?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

No, the settlement of an issue regarding benefits would not be considered 'work,' so it is not necessary for an employer to compensate an employee for the time spent in reaching a settlement.