Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is it ok for my employer to look for me outside of work ? I

Customer Question

Is it ok for my employer to look for me outside of work ? I gave my employer 24hr notice that I was not going to be coming in to work and the next day he went looking for me,is that ok?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

I can certainly understand why you would find such behavior to be invasive and unprofessional. However, unless your manager intruded into your residence or committed some other sort of egregious trespass, there is no law that would prevent what you describe. There is no law which outlaws an employer "looking for" an employee outside of work.

The best course of action is what you have already done--raising your concerns with upper management, who should address this issue with the manager in question. In terms of legal action, though, none would be available because the underlying conduct does not violate any law.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Very best wishes to you.