Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have been receiving unemployment benefits for 18 months.

I have been receiving unemployment benefits for 18 months. At the end of the UI benefits, my doctor diagnosed me as disabled. According to SDI, the base period which is based on how much I will receive in benefits, is during the months I was on unemployment. Would I be able to receive SDI and if so, what income would they base the amount I receive on? The last quarter I worker at the company, even though it does not fall under that or the unemployment? I was layed of 5/11. I began UI 7/11 and became disabled during the last month of UI benefits 1/13.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

No, unfortunately, you will not be able to receive SDI benefits since you have been on unemployment for the past 18 months and haven't been working.

SDI benefits are based on your earned wages for the last 12-15 months prior to your filing of an SDI claim.

Since you were receiving unemployment insurance, and weren't working for the past 12-15 months, there are no base earnings that could be used for your SDI benefits, so you wouldn't be eligible to receive anything from SDI.

However, you can and should apply for Social Security Disability Insurance since you are now disabled and unable to work.

You can do so using the information and filling out the forms available online here:

I hope the above information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks and best of luck!