Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My company is a private company and we do give stocks to employees.

My company is a private company and we do give stocks to employees. One employee is leaving the company and he asked that the company transfer his stocks (which he owns) to his Living Trust. Can we do this and if so how?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Are the stocks that the employee owns being held by the company (for instance in a 401k plan or similar?) or are they just owned outright by the employee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The stocks are owned outright by the employee. Thank you.

Hello Becky,

No, unfortunately, if the stocks are owned outright by the employee, he will have to transfer the stocks himself into a living trust.

The only way in which he could have someone else do this for him, would be if he gives someone, or some entity, power of attorney, which would allow them to transfer assets from his personal property into a trust.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joseph,

Could you please let me know how he can transfer the stocks himself into the living trust?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, that's not in my area of expertise. You should re-ask that question in the estate law category.