Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I was terminated from my employment do to allegations that

Customer Question

I was terminated from my employment do to allegations that I forged a signture on a evaluation stating this was purjury which I did not sign. Can they jusyt assume without any proof

thanks toni depner
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear that you were let go under such unfair circumstances.

Unfortunately, it is with regret I must inform you that employers by default retain tremendous discretion to terminate employees "at will" for any reason whatsoever, regardless of whether the basis is fair or even true. Thus, termination on false allegations is generally not illegal.

If you are a union employee, you may have a collective bargaining agreement that would permit your employer to terminate you only upon a showing of adequate cause. This would be a contractual modification to the default rule of "at will" employment. Assuming such a clause in your CBA exists, your recourse would be to contact your union rep and initiate a grievance to challenge the basis for your termination.

Absent such a claim in your union contract, however, an employee in your circumstance would have no recourse because the law does not impute an obligation to make "fair" or "good" decisions upon managers of private sector companies.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Very best wishes to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much it I would have not thought of any of this

thank you toni depner

It was truly my pleasure to assist you.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Kindest regards.

Please be so kind as to provide a positive rating for my service, as this is the only way I receiv any credit for the answers I provide. Thanks so much!
I see that you re-posted your question. Did you have any further concerns that you would like me to address? If so, feel free to post them here.

Thank you very much.