LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Is an employer responsible if an employee is absent because

Is an employer responsible if an employee is absent because they cannot find a babysitter? (Can an employer get in trouble for not making childcare accommodations for the employee)
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The unavailability of a baby sitter is not an excuse to miss work under CA law, and the employer is not obligated to provide child care accommodations for an employee, not excuse the inability to come to work simply because the employee does not have childcare available.

In fact, termination of the employer based on good cause in this circumstance would prevent the employee from eligibility for unemployment benefits as well.

Under CA employment laws, an employer cannot get in trouble, and they are violating no law, by refusing to grant child care accommodations to an employee.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you share that with me.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
Hi Julie,

I wanted to correct a minor error. I intended to write: "In fact, termination of the employee based on good cause in this circumstance would prevent the employee from eligibility for unemployment benefits as well."

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Julie. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.