Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

we have a "full-time" employee who is an hourly employee.

we have a "full-time" employee who is an hourly employee. sometimes businesses are slow. can we reduce their hours, if so, how can we go about doing it? how much notice do they need? can we send them home on a day's notice?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your questions but I need to know what State this applies to and also if this employee has a written contract that guarantees their hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

CA, there's no written contract that guarantees their hours

Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot assist you because the Site will not allow anyone not licensed in California to assist CA customers. In the future, so that you don't waste your time, if you could indicate the State in your question, that will help the Site get you to the correct Expert.

I will opt out and have the moderators place this in the correct category-California Employment law. Someone in that category will be with you as soon as they are available.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Calfornia-licensed attorney here--please permit me to assist.

Absent an agreement to the contrary, employers retain tremendous discretion to change an employee's hours, duties, and pay as they please. This tremendous freedom stems from Labor Code section 2922, which provides that employment in the state of California is "at will," absent an agreement to the contrary. Courts have interpreted this to mean that, since an employer retains discretion to terminate employees for no reason, he or she also retains the authority to dictate the terms of employment and change them at any time.

The law does not require an employer to provide any advance notice of the change (though changes in any employee's rate of pay cannot take place until the date on which they are informed of the change--retroactive paycuts are illegal). With regard to cuts in hours, these can be implented at any time.

As always, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you until you are absolutely satisfied I have answered your question.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be extremely grateful if you would remember to provide a positive rating of my service, as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please of course bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thanks and very best wishes to you.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.