Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I got fired from my job because of allegations that I sexually

Customer Question

I got fired from my job because of allegations that I sexually harassed co-workers through messaging them in facebook. I have not have a facebook for 2 years. Do I have aclaim for wrongful termination
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, unfortunately even though the reason used for your termination was false, since you do not have a facebook account, you do not have a cause of action for wrongful termination.

This is due to the fact that as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at
the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a
specified term means an employment for a period greater than one
month."

However, you would have a cause of action against the employees who wrongfully claimed that you harassed them through facebook for defamation for making false and damaging statements about you that caused you to lose your job.

I sincerely wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Or, please ask me any follow up questions you have here!

Thanks and best of luck!