Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My company A signed a contract with B company to work Client

My company A signed a contract with B company to work Client C however after some months I left Company A and signed a new contract with Company B to work for same client C. The way the first contract was written is very simple does not even talk about non-compete. Now Company A is threatening me that I should not sign a contract directly with Company B. Is there an issue need help

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

California is a state that strongly disfavors any restraints on trade and competition, and so even if you signed an agreement expressly promising not to work for company B, it would almost certainly not be enforceable.

See Business and Professions Code section 16600, which states: "Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void." The only notable exceptions are where part of the business is sold or where "trade secrets" are involved.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is simple--if you want to start working for a competing business, California aggressively PROTECTS your right to do so, even if you signed a contract stating that you wouldn't.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Very best wishes and happy holidays to you.