Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Can I sue my former employer (I quit my job two years ago)

Customer Question

Can I sue my former employer (I quit my job two years ago) for giving out my personnel information such as my soc.sec#, and other information that was sent by two current employees over an email to a former employee to both another place of business and the former employee's personal email? I received a letter in the mail today letting me know this happened and they didn't suspect any reason for foul play. I am truly offended by this lack of breach and this was a medical field business. I can't think of any reason for this to happen except for foul play since I quit my management job over two years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, unless you can prove that the disclosure of the information was done with malicious intent and caused you some sort of injury, you wouldn't have a cause of action against your former employer for inadvertantly disclosing your social security number and other information.

I sincerely wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It wasn't inadvertently, it was purposely emailed to an ex-employee at their personal email and also to the ex employees new work email for another business. How can this be a normal work mistake?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello Cathryn,

You would have a cause of action for public disclosure of private facts for the disclosure of your social security number and other private information to the ex-employees' personal email and the ex-employee's new work email.

I would suggest that you consult with a lccal attorney about filing suit. Unfortunately, unless you can prove damages, it would probably be difficult to get an attorney interested.

That said, you can find one using one of these websites:

www.lawyers.com

www.martindale.com

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello Cathryn,

Please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!