LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

ra- JPM

Customer Question

I am currently on short term disability. My FLMA ended yesterday so my job is not protected. If the company fires me will I still be able to receive the disability payments.
I am 71 years of age and have been with the company for 14 years. I felt while working that they were very nasty and were trying to get me to quit and went out on stress leave on Oct. 12th. I am currently out with a doctor's note till Jan 15th
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Pearl.com.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.
What question do you have regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently on short term disability due to stress at my job. The date of stress leave was Oct. 12th. My doctor has me out on leave until Jan. 15th. I have been with the company for 14 years thru various changes of ownership. It was obvious with the new ownership as of Jan. 1 of last year that they were intent on getting rid of all the original people that remained because of a higher pay structure than they, an Arizona company paid their employees. New management was belittling and always called me into the office for one thing or another therefore the stress leave. I was notified by mail that my FMLA was over as of Jan 4th and my job is no longer protected. I am 71 years of age. My question is this: I am sure they will take this opportunity to fire me because of the monetary issue and my age. If they do will I still be able to collect on the short term disability? If not, will I be able to collect unemployment?