Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

How to report a public agency that is violating its employment

How to report a public agency that is violating its employment policies?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Do you know if the utility company is violating any rules or regulations regarding the utility industry in hiring people who don't meet the minimum qualifications published in the posting?
Hello Juana,

Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about an employer violating its own policies in hiring people for a certain advertised position. Since the qualifications are self-imposed by the employer, as an at-will employer, the employer can change the requirements for any reason (or no reason) for the position with or without any notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.