LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

Are California state employers allowed to lie about a start

Are California state employers allowed to lie about a start date (making the start date months prior to the actual start date) to provide the employee early benefits they would not otherwise receive for CalPers retirement, etc.?
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

What you are describing would be a violation of law in the State of California, and would amount to fraud. To do so would be to work a fraud on the state of CA, and in all likelihood could be prosecuted as a felony.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you.
Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,