Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I WORK FOR A VALET COMPANY IN CALIFORNIA. THIS IS A DEAD END

I WORK FOR A VALET COMPANY IN CALIFORNIA. THIS IS A DEAD END JOB UNLESS I START MY OWN COMPANY. IS IT ILLEGAL FOR ME TO DO THIS. I WILL TAKE AT LEAST 1 CONTRACT FROM MY CURRENT COMPANY AND SEVERAL EMPLOYEES.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about the dismal prospects at your job.

California is a state that strongly disfavors any restraints on trade and competition, and so even if you signed an agreement expressly promising not to start up a rival company, it would not be enforceable.

See Business and Professions Code section 16600, which states: "Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void."

The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is simple--if you want to start a competing business, California aggresively PROTECTS your right to do so, even if you signed a contract statign that you wouldn't.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Very best wishes and happy holidays to you.