Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

RA - amm

Customer Question

if i have been recieving workers comp checks every monday every since 12-19-11 and once i was seen by a doctor and given a rating for my injury , do workers compensation have the right to terminate my checks before i am awarded compensation for my injury
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
What were you told at the time that you started receiving checks from workers' compensation. Was it just for a year or supposed to be a permanent benefit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i recieving benefits weekly due to injury on the job. one year after surgery and i recieved my injury rating from doctor who did the surgery, workers comp insurance terminated my checks and told me to talk with my lawyer, the question is can they do that without me having recieved my settlement.

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello William,

Unfortunately, the answer to that question really depends on the terms of the settlement. If you reached a settlement that terminates the weekly checks, then they could terminate those payments and require you to wait to receive the settlement.

As they stated, it would probably be best to talk to a local attorney if you have one, or you can contact one online using one of the following websites:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no agreement on settlement nor has one been approved by me as i stated in my question

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
From what you stated in the second reply it seemed that you had been awarded a settlement and were awaiting to receive it.

I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with my help. As I mentioned above, you really need to speak to a local attorney, since I don't have any details about your case and cannot give you an answer based on the information you provided.

I will opt out in favor of another expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have not asked for a settlement nor have i been issued a settlement, what are you reading in my second reply, there is no settlement