Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I have a former employee that I suspect of a major company

I have a former employee that I suspect of a major company theft. Is it legal for me to disclose his contact information to the local law enforcement dept.s? I have been counseled by our HR manager that disclosing that information is illegal, but I question her judgement. What should I do?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Has HR explained to you on what basis they believe disclosure of this employee's information would be illegal? What field do you work in?

I very much look forward to assisting you regarding this matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, my HR person simply stated it's illegal to disclose contact information that is found in the personnel file of the suspect.

We are a large state-wide commercial tree care contractor. We have roughly 150 employees, about 100 of which are hourly employees.

Thanks for your reply. Disclosure of such information to report theft, embezzelement, or some other crime would not be illegal under the circumstances you have described. Whatever limited expectation of privacy an employee may with regard to their contact information would not prohibit use of that information to report a criminal offense, period.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Very best wishes and happy holidays to you.