Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXXm a registered nurse working at Kaiser

Customer Question

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX a registered nurse working at Kaiser RWC Home Health Dept. as a home healt case mgr. I've been working for Kaiser for 13 yrs. I'm currently on paid administrative leave since fri. dec. 7. My office hrs are from 8:30 am to 5 pm in which i go visit homebound kaiser pt in their homes. I usually see 4 to 5 pts per day. On dec 1, 2012, i started working part time for another company and saw their pts during my kaiser time and Kaiser found it out and thats the reason why they put me on administrative leave w/ pay until their final decision on wed. 12/12/12. My question is, will i get terminated? Can u help if ever i get terminated. I'm a very good employee of kaiser and it just so happen w/ my poor judgement that i did part time work for another company during my kaiser time of work. Actually, i started working w/ another company on dec. 1, 2012 and only worked 3 hrs. for a couple of days until kaiser found it out. Pls advice.
Rod, RN
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Do you have an employment contract with your Kaiser, are you unionized, or are you an at-will employee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, i belong to a union/CNA and seems like they are not able to help.

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello Rod,

The good thing about having a union is that you can file a grievance with them if you are terminated from your employment since you need to only be terminated for 'good cause' while a member of a union.

Unfortunately, despite being a good employee with a good record and 13 years of service at Kaiser, working another job while you are being paid to work by Kaiser would likely constitute a terminable offense and would probably constitute sufficient good cause for your termination.

However, if it is your first ever violation and you can demonstrate that you didn't realize what you were doing was wrong, you would have a chance to retain your job and may only be disciplined for the offense without being terminated.