Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I think im being harassed at work

I think i'm being harassed at work. I am constantly being accused by the supervisors of doing things that I did not do. For example, last week I was accused of altering the settings in a machine. I denied doing so as I did not do it and don't even know how to access the settings. One of the supervisors followed me around all week accusing me of doing it. She said 'all the supervisors know that I was the one that did it'. I was told that I would 'be out on the street without a job' if they found out a did what they were accusing me of doing. When they found the two people who really did it, they did nothing to reprimand them. When I asked why they were not being reprimanded, the one supervisor I was speaking to just walked away. They also tried to falsify documents to make it look as if i forgot to do something, but they were unable to falsify them because there were witnesses/friends who got to the documents before they were able to modify them. What can I do to stop this?  What are my rights?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Do you have any reason to believe that the treatment that you're experiencing is due to discrimination based on a protected characteristic, such as race, gender, national oriigin, or ethnicity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know that to have a harassment case, you must be part of a 'protected' class. I don't believe I am in any of those 'classes'. I have been at this job for a long time and will be able to retire in several years. But I am close in age to the supervisors who are just making the workplace horrible for me. Is there anything I can do? I have been accused of making mistakes, but the accusers have been proven wrong so far. I'm afraid that if I do make a mistake, I will be fired for it. I am careful and a good worker. The only thing I can think of is that the people that are making it hard for me to work there have higher degrees and certifications than I have.

Unfortunately, despite popular belief, there is no code of civility in the workplace, so the harassment that you're experiencing would only form the basis for a cause of action against your employer if you believed that the discrimination was due to your membership in a protected class.

You mentioned that you have worked at the job for a long time and can retire in several years. If you are over the age of 40 and believe that you are being (at least partially) discriminated against on the basis of your age, you can and should file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for discrimination in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

You can file a charge using the information available online here:

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.