socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Our group was thinking of adding ones retirement contributions

Our group was thinking of adding ones retirement contributions to a physicians practice value calculation. Is this legitimate or illegal by an ERISA law? ie if a physician made $200K but contributed $30K to his pension , can his practice be valued at $230 K?
An ERISA retirement plan is a separate trust, the assets of which are held entirely for the benefit of the employee and former employee participants. The retirement plan is an "off balance sheet item," because it cannot be used by the employer for any purpose other than to pay employee benefits. So, it also has no place in the valuation of a business or profesional practice.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!