Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a Firefighter in California. I recently had a QME do to

I am a Firefighter in California. I recently had a QME do to an on the job injury. My Fire
Chief disclosed the results of my QME to other employees that had no reason or right to
know. What action if any should I take?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, employers are not covered entities under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, so you would not be able to file suit against your employer for a HIPAA violation.

However, you may have a private cause of action against your employer for violating your right to privacy, but you would need to be able to prove damages in order to prevail on this cause of action, making it even more difficult to prove.

That said, I suggest that you discuss your situation with a local attorney regarding pursuing a possible cause of action against your employer.

You also may want to file a grievance against your employer if you are represented by a union.

You can find an attorney to represent you using one of the following services:

www.lawyers.com

www.martindale.com

www.avvo.com

I further reccomend that you consult an attorney who offers free consultations and who works on a contingency basis, so you'd only have to compensate the attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Joseph, this helps.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Thank you; happy to help and best of luck!