Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My company is requesting that i sign a consent form that they

Customer Question

My company is requesting that i sign a consent form that they (the company) can price shop my location (funeral home) record these phone conversations and video our staff. In the event that these actions result in termination we (the employees) cannot hold the company responsible. They are trying to make this mandatory that I sign this conssent form. Is this legal in California?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

I am sorry to say that such a consent form would ordinarily be legal, and while you would be free to refuse to sign the consent form, your employer would be equally free to terminate the employment relationship as a result.

The only potential limitation would be with regard to the video footage. Courts have routinely held that video surveillance in common areas of the workplace is permissible. However, surveillance in areas where employees would ordinarily have some expectation of privacy, for example locker rooms or rest rooms, is illegal.

Provided that the surveillance does not extend into such areas of the work place, it would otherwise be legal. Everything else that you described as being contained within this agreement would also be legal.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.