How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Physical Therapy Assistant that must be under the superivision

This answer was rated:

I am a Physical Therapy Assistant that must be under the superivision of a PT per the APTA guidelines. I worked under a contract for a private out-patient clinic (not as an employee), yet, their expectations of me was as an employee. Also, according to IRS guidelines, I did not nearly qualify as an independent contractor. Are there any governing bodies that would investigate my mislassification ie: Consumer Affairs/Wage enforcement, Dept of Labor, etc., to lay the groundwork for a potential suit to recover unpaid overtime, unpaid employment taxes, and the like, or atleast sanction them for misclassifying should-be employees?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

The administrative body that would ordinarily investigate your misclassification and issue a judgment in your favor for unpaid overtime (plus additional fines and penalties pursuant to Labor Code 210) would be the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement. To file a wage claim with the DLSE, visit this link:

An individual who believes they have been misclassified as a contractor can also submit a form SS-8 to trigger a formal IRS review of their position to determine its appropriate status. See here for the form: If the IRS finds a misclassification, they retain the authority to impose additional fines and penalties.

It is generally wise for misclassified workers to file with both the IRS and DLSE, as each agency will serve a very different function in investigating the claim.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions