How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37411
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My unemployment has become delayed because I forgot to sign

Resolved Question:

My unemployment has become delayed because I forgot to sign a form. I decided to use the online service but my problem is that I am now four weeks behind. Also, every time I look at the website it shows that the request date keeps getting pushed back. At first it said "submitted on 11/29" Then 12/3. Now it says todays date and that I cannot expect payment for 10 days from said date! There is just no calling these people as their recording even says to call back later, but every time I call I get the same recording. There are no offices in town so I sent a certified letter and made an attempt to contact them via email. Can someone please tell me how I can get back on track? One thing that might have messed it up was that I sent the paper form in with the signature as well as using the webcert. In any event I really need to solve this problem. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

EDD is "buried" with unemployment claims -- and the offices are understaffed, due to state budget complaints. The passage of Proposition 30 will probably result in the addition of new unemployment benefit officers -- but, at the moment, you are, as the old saying goes: "fighting city hall" trying to expedite your claim and benefit payments, because there is no one on the other side of the transaction that can handle your claim any faster than it's being handled already.

That said, if you want to try to push, then you could file an appeal with EDD using form DE1000M. You would explain that your appeal is intended to expedite your claim, which appears to have been delayed based on the facts that you have described in your question.

The administrative law judge (ALJ) may reject your appeal, however, the judge may also make a couple of phone calls, just to see what's happening, and that could scare some of the EDD personnel into moving your claim to the top of the queue.

That's about the only thing that you can do at this point.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 37411
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gave you the top rating but please clarify something for me. This form you gave is regarding appeals. In my case, they have not done anything as far as turning me down. In fact, they have agreed to pay me but all has gotten out of whack after a forgot to send a form. If this internet clich goes on it looks like I will never get paid. Again today it says it was submitted today on the online webcert page. Tomorrow it will say tomorrow's date and so on as well as "allow 10 days from date of submission for payment....." yada yada yada. If this gets ridiculous, can I sue them in small claims court?

Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
The form is for appeals, which is what I previously explained. The point is that there is no way to get past the bureaucracy without trying something novel. Appeals go to an administrative law judge (ALJ). You are appealing the failure of EDD to decide your claim status, which you can infer from inaction as a tacit denial of benefits.

There is no statutory provision for this sort of process, however, I believe that a thorough explanation on the DE1000M form may get you a hearing -- and even if it does not, it may cause the ALJ to contact EDD internally and tell them to get off their butts and handle the claim, or the ALJ will entertain the appeal from EDD's tacit denial of benefits.

The reason for this approach is that the alternative would be vastly more costly and time consuming. In theory, you could sue EDD in small claims court, but unless and until your benefit status is determined, you wouldn't know the amount to claim as damages for the administrative negligence. And, if small claims ruled in your favor, the most it can award is $10,000, which may not be as much as your UI claim would pay.

And, the small claims judge could decide that what you are really seeking is "declaratory relief," which is not permitted in small claims. Then, you would have to bring a petition for a writ of mandate in Superior Court (which is how the court reviews agency decisions or failures to act). And, you would have to hire a lawyer and it would probably cost you $10,000 in legal fees to get a decision from the court.

All of which leads us back to the DE1000M appeal. Obviously, you can wait, and you can continue to call and write -- but, the only way through the door to get something done via some cost effective means is to claim that EDD has made a decision by silence, and therefore you are entitled to appeal.

Anyway, that's the legal theory I'm proposing -- because there's no other way that I can think of to get EDD's attention in a cost-effective manner.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great thank you for that. I will definitely use that form. Good idea.


Darla Jones

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions