Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I work as a private caregiver from 7pm to 7am, 4x a week. I

I work as a private caregiver from 7pm to 7am, 4x a week. I get paid thru paycheck, with deductions using W2. Am I entitled to overtime pay if my work falls on a federal holiday?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no state or federal law that requires employers to pay employees overtime for work on holidays. Unless you have an employment contract ithat guarantees overtime on holidays (which would override the default rule that employees are not entitled to premium pay on these days), no obligation to pay overtime would arise.

I realize that the law is not entirely in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.