socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am Hispanic-American and was born here in Colorado. I do

I am Hispanic-American and was born here in Colorado. I do not speak Spanish where most of my co-workers do. I am feeling discriminated against because my bosses think because I look Hispanic, I should speak spanish to communicate with my co-workers. I am American, should I have to be forced to learn Spanish so I won't get fired?

Is your boss/supervisor also of hispanic origin, or his he/she caucasian/white?

Thanks in advance.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Neither of the two bosses I sat down with are Hiof Hispanic origin. However, one of them happens to be married to one of my other co-workers who is Hispanic. My other boss is my wife's uncle.

Interesting.

I can see how you may be able to make out a case of employment discrimination. The claim would be that your employer views your race/color as meaning that you ought to have all of the other stereotypical" attributes of any other hispanic -- i.e., you should be fluent in speaking spanish.

You can explain to your employer that your coworkers are treating you as if you ought to be capable of speaking spanish, because of your heritage, and that by not insisting that they communicate with you in English, that your employer may be engaged in race discrimination, because the environment is hostile to you based on your race/color, because apparently the employer also expects you to be able to speak spanish due to your heritage.

If the employer refuses to instruct your coworkers to speak English to you, then you can file a charge of employment discrimination with DORA (click here for more info).

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.