Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343
California Employment Law

I have a co-worker who constantly is calling me a whore, monkey

face and old hag. ... Show More
face and old hag. I have report the incident to my HR manager and presented a witnessed. My HR managers answer to me is what would you like me to do about it? Is there some sort of formal claim that I can present with labor department?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

There is no law which generally prohibits name calling and rude behavior in the workplace. However, the law does prohibit such behavior when it is motivated by an employee's gender, race religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age (over 40), or sexual orientation.

Calling someone a "whore" would ordinarily constitute harassment on the basis of gender, and as such would be actionable.

A claim for emotional distress and other damage arising from such harassment could be filed with either the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (a federal agency charged with investigating complaints of harassment and discrimination) or California's Department of Fair Employment and Housing (California's corollary agency).

For information on how to bring a claim through California's DFEH, visit this link: http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Complaints.htm For information on how to bring a claim through the EEOC, visit this link: http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.