Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

I have been "bumped" from my job and my employer has offered

I have been "bumped" from my job and my employer has offered the same job but in a different state. My state is California, my employer stated to me if I decline relocation, then I am voluntarily resigning. I have less than 30 days to decide and move. Question, will California give me unemployment benefits if I decline out of state relocation?
Yes, California will likely give you unemployment benefits if you decline out of state relocation. In California, you can receive unemployment if you loose your job through no fault of your own. Accordingly, as long as your original contract did not require you to change locations or travel to different locations regularly, you are allowed to quit a job under what is known as constructive termination and still receive unemployment. The standard is that anyone in your position would have quit. It has been regularly been held that moving your job location more than one hour away has been deemed to be constructive termination.

Good Luck!

It has been my pleasure to assist you today. I hope I have provided you excellent service. Kindly remember to rate my answer only when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate my service as either “Bad” or “Poor”, please stop and use the REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking. I am happy to assist you with whatever issue or clarification you may need and will take the time to explain any concern to your satisfaction. If you feel that I am unable to do so, please ask me to have another expert assist me and I will opt out immediately so that you receive the best possible service. Please remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please do not jump to a rating before you ask any questions you may have. I do not know what you may already know or with that you need help with unless you tell me. Additionally, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law as it applies to your case.

I wish you the best in 2012. After fully reading the answer, please remember to press the happy face on the bottom of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much, just one more question please...I have been given a document asking me to check a box...one says yes relocate me, the other says decline, I voluntarily resign. If I check decline, can the company then contest unemployment benefits? Will California side with my employer? I am thinking about sending a separate written response declining the relocation, and stating that I am 'not' voluntarily resigning instead of returning their document with the check boxes.

The company will likely contest unemployment benefits no matter what you do. That being said, by checking no, you give them more ammunition to attempt to succeed. Your response in sending a separate written response is definitely the best way to protect yourself.