Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is an employer in CA required to offer all employees the same

Is an employer in CA required to offer all employees the same health ins coverage as offered to one employee?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Although no law in the state of California requires employers to provide health benefits, once an employer does decide to provide benefits, he or she must offer the same health benefits to all employees within the same "group." An employer can distinguish "groups" of employees in any non-discriminatory way that it chooses, such as production versus managerial employees, or full time versus part time employees.

If there is any special way to distinguish this one particular employee, such as by job designation, full-time or part time status, or someting else, then the decision to award only this one employee health coverage would be legal. Otherwise, it would not.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.