Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My husband is about to go on long term disability due to his

My husband is about to go on long term disability due to his stage 4 colon cancer. Our worries are - 1. Can his company stop his group life insurance? The employer pays a benefit for 2x his annual salary and we pay for supplemental 2x his annual salary. We are so scared because obviously with him having a serious diagnosis converting the policy to individual may not even be possible. Please help
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Is your husband going to be on FMLA leave or just long term disability?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe while he was out on short term disability his FMLA was already used. He was out 25wks and has returned to work for approximately 75 days with accomodations for his chemotherapy etc.

I am very sorry to hear about your husband's condition and I wish him a good recovery from colon cancer.

Unfortunately, your husband can be terminated as an employee while out on Long Term Disability if he is unable to return to work and perform the essentail functions of hte job without a reasonable accomodation.

In that case, his insurance can also be terminated. However, under COBRA, he has a right for continued insurance that he had with the company, although he would likely be responsible to pay the premiums that the company paid for while he was employed with them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry one last question please. Is life insurance considered under COBRA as well as medical benefits?

No, life insurance is not considered to be under COBRA as well as medical benefits. Only medical benefits are covered by COBRA.