Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Can an employer take away from employees a gift card for Thanksgiving?

Can an employer take away from employees a gift card for Thanksgiving? The $50 gift cards have been given out every year for six years. Times are rough now and they have troubles paying the rent.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear that times are tough.

Provided that the gift cards have not already been given out this year (in which case they cannot be taken back), and provided there is no express contractual guarantee that the employees will receive the gift cards this year, there would typically be no problem with declining to provide them, even if they were consistently provided in the past.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to provide additional assistance.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.