Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I work night shift. The company has mandatory annual competencies

I work night shift. The company has mandatory annual competencies that are held on the nights i work. the hours of the competencies are catered to day shift. I am asked to rearrange my schedule or take a vacation day to come in for a day shift schedule. I asked to stay after work but was not allowed because it will incur overtime. Now my job is threatened because I was unable to take the mandatory competency because I was told I couldn't come on the days I work. I tried to tell my manager that i can not rearrange my schedule because of daycare. and did not want to use my vacation hours to forcefully take a night off so that i dont incur overtime. Can they fire me?
Hello and welcome,

Are you a salaried or hourly employee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hourly 6pm-6:30am
Hello again and thank you for the additional information.

The employer can make this requirement mandatory and they can normally require that an employee rearrange their schedule or come in on their day off to complete the requirement. However, they may NOT refuse to pay the employee for the time spent fulfilling the requirement, since it is mandatory.

If you file a complaint with the state labor board, the law would typically protect you from any retaliation by the employer for filling the complaint.

Here is a link that summarizes the law with regard to compensation for mandatory meetings/training:

Here is a link to file a wage claim with the state labor board:

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: