Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I was a travel rn for a company on a 13 week assignment. The

Customer Question

I was a travel rn for a company on a 13 week assignment. The hospital I was contracted to terminated my contract on 8th week of the 13 week of the assignment. Does the company that hired me and assigned me to that hospital owe me for the remaining 5 weeks. The contract only states that I would owe the company if I terminate the contract before the 13 week assignment ends.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Does the contract indicate the company can terminate the contract in some manner prior to the end of the 13 week period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nowhere on the contract that the service agreement can be terminated. I just read the service agreement.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, and thank you for the additional information.

It appears the company breached the contract, and you would typically be entitled to the wages you would have received through the balance of the contract, less any other wages you were able to earn at a different job since the law normally requires a party to mitigate their losses where a breach of contract is involved.

So if you were able to locate other work before the remaining 5 weeks had lapsed, a court would typically reduce the amount you should receive for the breach by the amount you received from other sources during that time.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/