Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Hi, Im working on 1099 and Im paid $60 /per hour. My work

I'm working on 1099 and I'm paid $60 /per hour. My work schedule is normal business hours 9:00am to 5:00PM. But due to our workload my clients requested me to work on Saturday and Sunday for last two weeks. I have worked 26 hrs overtime. My clients had asked me to charge them for working overtime but I don't know how much should I be charging them. I live and work in california.
Thank You
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

As an independant contractor, the laws governing overtime do not apply, nor do most of the rights and protections afforded through state and federal labor law. Accordingly, any "overtime" rate would be something negotiable purely through contract and can be set at any amount the parties can agree upon.

If you wish to use California law as a guidelines, the Labor Code provides for 1.5 times an employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of eight hours up to and including 12 hours in any workday, and for the first eight hours worked on the seventh consecutive day of work in a workweek. The Labor Code provides for double the employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 12 hours in any workday and for all hours worked in excess of eight on the seventh consecutive day of work in a workweek.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.